Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Windows XP and Wireless Network

Today I got new experience when trying to connect to a wireless network. The story began when I'm using Windows XP on a laptop and tried to connect on an available wireless network. When connecting, I saw a pop up notification from Windows taskbar and it said that "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network *******".



Hmm, it is so strange for me, because last time I'm using Windows Vista and trying to connect to the same wireless network, everything was ok, no pop up notification and I could surf the web. My friend tested the same wireless network using her Mac and everything was ok too, no pop up notification and she could surf the web too. I think this problem only happens when I'm using Windows XP and trying to connect to the network.

Ok, back to Windows XP. I tried to ignore the pop up notification and I tried to surf the web and it was successful. Hmm, strange! I thought I couldn't browse the web because I couldn't get a certificate from the network.

Ok, I can browse the web, but it is very annoying to see a pop up when trying to connect to this wireless network. I tried to search what's the problem here.

Ok, first open the Wireless Network Connection Window. There I can find all available wireless network. I choosed the wireless network and go to its advanced settings.

Wireless network connection
Next, I choose the wireless network from Preferred Network list.

preferred network

Next in the properties windows, I choose Authentication tab. There, we can see a checkbox with its label Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. I tried to uncheck it and then click ok to save this properties.

Wireless network properties
Ok, I tried to connect again to the wireless network and now there's no pop up notification! And everything was ok. So, what does the pop up notofication mean? I hope the reader can tell me the answer :D Leave your comment guys.

4 comments:

  1. aku rasa, pak lucky mungkin bisa menjelaskan tentang itu wkwkwk....

    masalah autentikasi sertifikat rupanya...

    mungkin server yang mengatur tentang jaringan itu tidak memberikan autentikasi setifikat kepada OS windows xp, namun tetap memberikan autentikasi koneksi....

    seingatku pak lucky pernah cerita tentang pemberian sertifikat, terutama dalam hal wireless connection. di mana os yang di bawah vista, seperti xp dll itu bisa diset agar tidak diberi sertifikat autentikasi, kalau alasannya kurang tahu juga saya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I see.. Mayne next time I'll ask Lucky sama. Thanks for your comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. guojin is right about that ,,, for some reason, administrator wouldn't give permition using certificate cause security issue. but in your case is alittle bit different.

    let's start from this one: 802.1X authentication can help enhance security for 802.11 wireless networks and wired Ethernet networks by requiring a certificate or a smart card for network access. by enabling it, before server grants you permition to use the internet, you have to got a certificate to secure the data communication. it will help you to protect your PC too. so, when u dont have the certificate yet, server will not allow you to connect.
    wht happen when I disabled that option, its just like drive a car without safety belt, u dont have to, but whenever u got a crash, dont blame me not to remind u for that cost ... haghaghag ...
    ja, koko made owarimashita ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for your information, Lucky sensei :)

    ReplyDelete